HP DL360-P4 slow network writes

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Wed Jun 1 04:07:01 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 19:12,  the author Kent Ketell contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: HP DL360-P4 slow network writes:

>On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 04:44:52PM -0700, Vizion wrote:
>> On Tuesday 31 May 2005 16:42,  the author Kent Ketell contributed to the
>> dialogue on-
>>  Re: HP DL360-P4 slow network writes:
>>
>> Well depends upon what order your dns servers are in the list - if you
>> happened to have a duff dns being accessed first on yr freebsd box it
>> might slow stuff down - if you can be certain they were in the same order
>> on the redhat that would rule out dns as a cause. However I have usually
>> not paid too much attention to what order they appear..now I will :-)
>
>I guess I should mention that the tests I have been running involve doing a
> check-out of a branch from cvs.  When I do the check-out to my nfs-mounted
> home dir it takes at least 90-seconds.  When I do the same operation on a
> local filesystem (like /tmp) it takes only 5-seconds.
>
>Both operations make use of the same DNS servers, so that seems like a
> rather unlikely issue to me.  Thoughts?
>
>I have verified that the resolv.conf entries for both the RedHat system and
> the FreeBSD system are the same.
>
>I initially discovered the problem when running 4.10-RELEASE-p5 and have
> since bumped the same system up to 4.11-STABLE as of last week.
>
>I am thinking this must be some odd change made by HP on their system that
> FreeBSD can't deal with, but I have not a clue as to what it might be.
OK this is not much to go but lets see if you can puick up this very looose
ball and run with it. I happen to have what is now a pretty old proliant in
one of my server rooms. Now when I installed freebsd on that system (about
4/5 years ago) I have a vague memory of having to do something to the bios to
make freebsd run properly. There may be some notes on HP's web site (my
experience has been they are good for reference) perhaps you mmight find
something by sculling around on HP's website -- look for operating system
trouble shooting guides under support and your product ID DL360. If I remeber
correctly I had to get a Proliant essential foundation pack to get the
machine set up correctly.

That is the only thing I can think of right now -- you seem to have
effectively ruled out the dns issue. So now we are looking at hardware or
freebsd's own configuration.

I am sorry I cannot be of more help

David

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.