Pear problems when upgrading from php4 to php5

Edwin Culp eculp at encontacto.net
Tue May 31 12:50:50 GMT 2005

I did a pkg_delete of all php4 and php4-pear packages and first
installed php5 then installed php5-pear, all went normal to this point.
Now that I need to install other pear libraries I get the following error :

===> Installing examples in /usr/local/share/examples/pear/Log.
Usage: php [options] [-f] <file> [--] [args...]
      php [options] -r <code> [--] [args...]
      php [options] [-B <begin_code>] -R <code> [-E <end_code>] [--]
[args...]
      php [options] [-B <begin_code>] -F <file> [-E <end_code>] [--]
[args...]
      php [options] -- [args...]

 -a               Run interactively
 -c <path>|<file> Look for php.ini file in this directory
 -n               No php.ini file will be used
 -d foo[=bar]     Define INI entry foo with value 'bar'
 -e               Generate extended information for debugger/profiler
 -f <file>        Parse <file>.
 -h               This help
 -i               PHP information
 -l               Syntax check only (lint)
 -m               Show compiled in modules
 -r <code>        Run PHP <code> without using script tags <?..?>
 -B <begin_code>  Run PHP <begin_code> before processing input lines
 -R <code>        Run PHP <code> for every input line
 -F <file>        Parse and execute <file> for every input line
 -E <end_code>    Run PHP <end_code> after processing all input lines
 -H               Hide any passed arguments from external tools.
 -s               Display colour syntax highlighted source.
 -v               Version number
 -w               Display source with stripped comments and whitespace.
 -z <file>        Load Zend extension <file>.

 args...          Arguments passed to script. Use -- args when first
argument
                  starts with - or script is read from stdin

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/pear-Log.

I am running current with everything updated, mergemaster, etc.

Un fortunately, pear has always worked out of the box for me.  It would
appear that I have missed a step or done something else stupid, the most
probable.

Any suggestions appreciated,

ed