Anyone had any luck getting Lexmark Z32 to work?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon May 30 14:26:26 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 10:04:22PM +0200, Andreas Davour wrote:
> >>I have looked at apsfilter, and did some half-hearted attempts at
> >>understand the www.linuxprinting.com site.
> >
> >According to
> >http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-Z32
> >it works partially, and requires a binary-only linux driver to work
> >properly. Maybe you could use it with linux emulation?
>
> Maybe. How do linux use printer drivers? Anyone know? Could they be
> plugged in like a (aps)filter, perhaps?

In FreeBSD and Linux (and other unix-like systems) printer drivers are
not integrated into the kernel like they are on Windows.

Printing is done through a combination of systems.

First you have the lpd system. This is where users submit files for
printing. It spools print commands and feeds them to a printer (locally
or over a network) one at a time.

After that comes a filter program, like apsfilter. This translates the
input file into a format that the printer understands. apsfilter and
other filters usually use ghostscript for converting postscript to a format
that different printers understand. Some printers have their own driver
program (like the lexmark, I think), which can also be called by apsfilter.

> I don't know much about printing, and lp, lpr, lprng and all that
> alphabet soup. That site didn't clear up my confusion. Maybe I should go
> re-read the handbook, but I don't think it'll help much.

By all means read the printing chapter thoroughly. It should enlighten you.

<snip>
> >I'd advise you to sell this printer and buy another one. Check
> >linuxprinting.org before you buy, or buy a postscript printer.
>
> The only reason I have it is I got it for free.
>
> I did look at that site when someone threw an Apple Laserwriter II NTX
> after me,

Hmm, didn't that hurt? ;-)

> and unless I misunderstood it should work fine with linux. I
> didn't work very well for me (like, it just refused to ever print an pdf
> document) and I dumped it last week.

According to the info on linuxprinting.org, the LaserWriter II NTX _is_
a postscript printer. To print pdf files with it, there are at least two
install apsfilter.

> If I had unlimited amounts of money I know what I should buy! A real
> Postscript printer! Those work. I know. ;)

You just threw one away. :-(

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.