drivers

Lars Eighner eighner at io.com
Sun May 29 18:54:41 PDT 2005

On Mon, 30 May 2005, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> I've sent a message to the FreeBSD postmaster suggesting a limit of
> 100 kB.  My reasoning for this relatively low limit: nobody's going to
> look at much more anyway, and it will "encourage" people to quote
> carefully :-)

I'm still wondering what could possibly have been in 9 megs that
could conceivably be call a text file about system specification
(even at two-bytes per character).  Did it specify every
molecule in the system?

Look, maintainers may indeed be interested in dumps that exceed
100kB, but there is no reason to post stuff like that to a
public mailing list.  If there is anything that has to be that
big or bigger for some reason, stick on the web and provide a
link.  It may not be any faster to download for people with slow
links, but most browsers will give you some idea what you are
getting.  And people who know they have slow links may elect not
to help anyone with 9 megs of problems.

--
Lars Eighner
eighner at io.com
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html
8800 N IH35 APT 1191 AUSTIN TX 78753-5266