5.4 NFS install broken?

David P. Discher dpd at dpdtech.com
Sun May 29 11:22:58 PDT 2005

Well, not broken, but its does not look like it was documented.

I was just doing this yesterday, copied ISO #1 completely, then in cd#2

     # cd /iso2/packages ; tar -cf - | tar -xvf - -C /nfsinstall/
packages

The file packages/INDEX needs to be updated.  I don't know how
to create this, so I went the ftp servers, and grabbed the INDEX
from the combined release.

There is a PROBLEM WITH THIS INDEX file.  There are TWO entries for
perl in it.  Perl 5.6.2 and 5.8.2 I do believe. The two CD ISOs
only contained perl 5.8.2.  Vi and delete the 5.6.2 line, and
this seemed to work. (Don't quote me on exact version numbers.)

I also did this, not sure if this is needed.

     # cd /nfsinstall; rm filename.txt
     # find . -type f | sed -e 's/^\.\///' | sort > filename.txt

per section 3.4
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/release-
build.html>

btw - sort of related, I posted yesterday:
     "FreeBSD 5.3/5.4 - pxeboot hosting on em0 Intel 82540EM"

Would love feedback on this.

David P. Discher  * <http://davidpdischer.com/> *
<dpd at dpdtech.com> *        AIM: DavidDPD        *