APC BX800-CN UPS or something similar

greg at grokking.org greg at grokking.org
Sat May 28 14:21:02 PDT 2005

Eugene Hercun wrote:
> I'm considering purchasing an APC BX800-CN UPS for my home file
> server. What I don't understand, is what happens when the power comes
> back on? Does the UPS somehow turn the computer back on?

Depends on your BIOS. Look for a setting something like "automatic power
restore" that will detect when line power comes back and will restart
the system. Otherwise, nothing.

 >Also, there are a number of deamons that could be run for APC UPS's
but which one
> is most popular?

/usr/ports/sysutils/nut but with an APC you can always check out
/usr/ports/sysutils/apcupsd, which is simpler to configure but less
powerful (go figure).

If that model ups only uses usb to talk to the computer you may want to
do some checking on the hardware compatibility listing under the release
you're using (www.freebsd.org). Last time I looked (admittedly ~2003) it
wasn't supported nearly as well as the serial cabled ones.