Vinum problems on FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE

Sat May 28 06:18:55 PDT 2005

On 28 mei 2005, at 02:21, Kris Kirby wrote:

> Trying to make a mirror of two slices, but I see to be running into
> some
> issues here. I'm not on questions, so please CC me on all replies.

Maybe it's a good idea to subscribe cuz then you would have been able
to read what we wrote about this for the lastcouple of days

> # /etc/vinum.conf
> volume var
> plex name var.p0 org concat
> drive va device /dev/ad0s1g
> sd name var.p0.s0 drive va length 256m
> plex name var.p1 org concat
> drive vb device /dev/ad1s1d
> sd name var.p1.s0 drive vb length 256m
>
> When I create it, using -f, I get:
>
> vinum -> l
> 2 drives:
> D va                    State: up       /dev/ad0s1g     A:
> 1791/2048 MB
> (87%) <- note triple allocation
> D vb                    State: up       /dev/ad1s1d     A: 255/512 MB
> (49%)
>
> 1 volumes: V var State: up Plexes:  2 Size:  256 MB
>
> 2 plexes:
> P var.p0 C State: up Subdisks:  1 Size:  256 MB
> P var.p1 C State: faulty Subdisks:  1 Size:  256 MB
>
> 2 subdisks:
> S var.p0.s0 State: up D: va Size:  256 MB
> S var.p1.s0 State: empty D: vb Size:  256 MB

vinum does not like FBSD 5.4
or vice versa
it is not supported

you could manually 'setstate up var.p1.s0' and 'setstate up var.p1'
that should work
i tested it with a raid 1 mirror, removed the HD that came up ok and
checked if the mirror would still come up, which it did
i do definitely not recommend it though
while you aren't still useing the raid, go use something else than vinum

> Doesn't seem like this is right. I also run into a problem when
> trying to
> do a resetconfig:
>
> vinum -> resetconfig
>  WARNING!  This command will completely wipe out your vinum
> configuration.
>  All data will be lost.  If you really want to do this, enter the text
>
>  NO FUTURE
>  Enter text -> NO FUTURE
> Can't find vinum config: Inappropriate ioctl for device

you'll be getting this all the time if yu continue to use vinum in
FBSD 5.4
> and the configuration is still there after I try to resetconfig.
> When I
> reboot and do I vinum start, I get an error that there are no
> drives in
> the vinum config.

do 'vinum read' but expect to have kernel panics...

> FreeBSD ginsu.catonic.net 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #1: Fri May 27
> 01:28:15 PDT 2005     toor at ginsu.catonic.net:/usr/src/sys/i386/
> compile/SMP
> i386
>
> dmesg availible on request. No securelevel in place, at -1. Thanks in
> advance.

again, i'd stay away from vinum/gvinum in FBSD 5.x  if i were you...
if you don't, come join me in the mental institute for stubbern vinum
users :)
Arno