DVD burners and the Adaptec 2200S RAID controller...

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Fri May 27 04:38:39 PDT 2005

Hi,

[...]
>>2200S. What I'm wondering about is the following: would it be possible
>>to use the 2200S as a regular controller for a SCSI DVD rewriter, in
>>combination with it running 4 drives in RAID 10 mode?
>>The controller has two U320 channels and allows up to 30 devices to be
>>connected to it. However, I'm not certain that is assuming RAID only
>>set-ups or whether that also allows regular SCSI devices to be
>>attached to it...
>
> Don't do this.  Leave only hard disks on the RAID array card.  Most
> RAID cards only want disk drives on the busses anyway.

Tnx, I feared as much...:(

Either way: I personally like that separation as well. I have another
good Adaptec SCSI controller, but I think it's a bit a pity to
'sacrifice' that just for a DVD burner (it's currently installed in a
machine I have specifically set-up as MySQL database stress tester). :P

Hmmm, I wonder what good ATA options there are... Otherwise, I guess
I'll simply have to add another SCSI controller.

Cheers,
Olafo