fsck on startup

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu May 26 09:03:34 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 11:32:25AM +0300, Sergey S. Ropchan wrote:
> Hello
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not sure what is causing this, but virtually -every- unclean system shutdown
> > results in my server asking for the root password to run fsck manually, and this
> > is a co-located server in a remote datacenter which I unfortunately can not get
> > to as easily as I would want.
> >
> > Is there anyway to tell rc.conf or sysctl or anything else to get bsd to not
> > pause for the root password???
> Yes, of course add folowing strings to your rc.conf:
>
> fsck_y_enable="YES"
> background_fsck="YES"

With the warning that your system is asking for the root password
because it is finding *serious errors* in your filesystem, and if you
enable fsck -y then it may result in deletion of large chunks of your
filesystem to "repair" the damage.

Instead you should be asking why you are getting these errors in the
first place.  Do you have soft updates enabled?  Should you invest in
a UPS to prevent the unclean shutdowns?

Kris