Articles, Tutorials & hardware setting in loader.conf

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Tue May 24 09:05:59 PDT 2005

vdm.fbsd at virgilio.it wrote:
> As a newbye I just need a pointer, a hint to the following two subjects:
>
> 1) Where can I find a clear explanationt on how to use the many, multilingual
> articles, books, tutorials and documentation coming with a standard 5.4
> version (in sgml format). In a nutshell, how can I obtain a "readable" article
> or tutorial starting fron those files?

Short answer: the handbooks, articles, and other things are
generally found on http://www.freebsd.org/ (and its mirrors) in HTML
for your ready access. The site search feature isn't ideal IMHO, but
judicious use of it can turn up the article(s) you need in the
language you prefer. Lots of pre-generated HTML is also in
/usr/share/doc/en, though it may fall out of date compared to the
web site.

Long answer (if you really have your heart set on generating
documents from the raw SGML):

Read all about the Documentation Project and its Primer.
http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/
http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/sgml.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/index.html
(Also in /usr/share/doc/en/fdp-primer on your local system)

Install ports/textproc/docproj

> 2) Trying to solve a problem with my touchpad mouse I had to add hw.psm.flags="0x100"
> into /boot/loader.conf. I tried hard googling to find a complete explanation
> on those commands that I understand prevent from rebuilding  kernels with
> specific options, but I only met fragmentary stuff not a complete view on
> the subject. Have you anything to suggest?

Sorry, not my field. For best results, it is recommended that you
not ask two unrelated questions in one post. If no one jumps on this
one, try again.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348