How to update to latest packages with pkg_add and keep system source stable

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon May 23 11:36:43 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 02:59:03PM +0200, Tim wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am a new FreeBSD user. I have installed the latest production release 5.4.
>

> Two questions I have are:
>

> 1. How do I update to the newest binary packages without using
> ports? I have a slow computer so compling through ports is not
> fun. When I now do a pkg_add -r firefox I get version 1.0.3 and not
> 1.0.4 which I've seen exists as a binary package via the web
> inteface.

No new packages are ever produced for -release versions of FreeBSD.
However, you can use the packages-stable packages, which will almost
always work on the most recent release.  See the pkg_add manpage and
ftp site for the relevant environment variables and location.

> 2. I want a stable system. I understand that upgrading system source
> to FreeBSD-STABLE is in fact not stable at all. So what efficient
> method exists to keep my system secure and stable?

Track the release branch.  See the handbook for detailed information.

Kris

P.S. please wrap your lines at 70 characters so your emails may be
easily read.