VM pager read error

Christopher Black cblack at securecrossing.com
Mon May 23 07:04:29 PDT 2005

Hello List,

I have a distributed network of systems running FreeBSD 4.10-Release,
and periodically, I see the following errors on the console:

vm_fault: pager read error, pid 1 (init)

These will be repeated, filling the screen quickly, and the box is
unable to do anything at all.  These are mission-critical boxes, and I
catch a lot of flak for any downtime.  Are there any ideas what might be
causing this?  There's plenty of unused memory (128mb total), and swap
is always 100% free.  The boxes are running snort_inline, squid, and
ipfw with dynamic rules.  The errors tend to occur when there's no load
at all on the boxes, such as when everyone has gone home for the night.

Thanks!
Chris
--
Christopher Black <cblack at securecrossing.com>