all users to mount cd's

Nicolas Blais nb_root at videotron.ca
Fri May 20 15:12:36 PDT 2005

On May 20, 2005 06:02 pm, Ryan Winograd wrote:
> Side note: Is it a mistake to be using FreeBSD as a desktop OS? Its main
> purpose is as a server, FreeBSD even admits its goal is not to be a
> desktop OS.

Funny, I just gave a presentation discussing FreeBSD as a desktop os.

I run FreeBSD as a desktop OS, my wife's cursed Compaq Presario R3240CA runs
FreeBSD as a desktop OS and I convinced many friends (aka geeks) to try
FreeBSD as a desktop OS and that was a success.
I have 4 computers at home and only one is running XP, and that's for games.
Maybe FreeBSD should only be used for servers instead of desktop, but I'll
honestly tell you that it does a great job on my computers doing both. At the
same time.  While making buildworld and ripping/encoding a dvd...

Plus I hate the BSOD.

Nicolas.