Shared /usr/ports directories

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu May 19 09:57:15 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 05:39:54PM +0100, Richard Danter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have several machines running FBSD now. At the moment I have a
> complete ports tree on each machine. I was wondering if it was possible
> to have it all on just one machine and NFS mount it?

That is certainly possible.

> I have already been doing this for the /usr/ports/distfiles directory,
> but had not shared everything else as I was not sure if settings from a
> build on one machine may cause problems when building on another machine.
>
> Each machine has it's own /etc/make.conf with settings such as the
> processor type, so it is important that one build can't effect another.

I would suggest you set WRKDIRPREFIX in /etc/make.conf so that the
files built by the ports system do not get placed under /usr/ports but
somewhere else.
For example I have 'WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/workdir' in my /etc/make.conf.
That way all the files that are created when you build a port ends up
under /var/workdir rather than under /usr/ports.  If WRKDIRPREFIX is
set to a directory on a local filesystem there will be no way for a
build on one system to affect one on another. You should even be able
to export /usr/ports as read-only.
(Changing WKRDIRPREFIX also makes it a lot easier and faster to clean
up after building ports. Instead of having to issue a 'make clean' for
each port built, you can just do a 'rm -fr /var/workdir/*' and all the
workdirs will be removed quickly.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson