web-based ldap user administration

Benjamin J Doherty bjd at pobox.com
Thu May 19 08:30:10 PDT 2005

Friends,

Now that I've successfully assembled my LDAP enabled FreeBSD machine
with pam_ldap and nss_ldap, I'm looking for a way to allow users to
administer their accounts through a web browser.  Webmin and Usermin
appear to be excellent candidates except for the fact that they don't
appear to support FreeBSD and OpenLDAP.  Webmin doesn't have an
option to use SSHA password hashing when creating an account, and all
of its supported hashing mechanisms don't equal the actual
authentication process' hashing mechanism. Usermin (probably for the
same reason) can allow a user to change a password but changes the
password to something besides what the user wanted, effectively
disabling his account.  Usermin offers a huge advantage in that it
also can change a Samba account password at the same time (though I
don't know if it will change an LDAP password out of the box).

Are there other options in the ports tree that actually work?  Is
there a simple way to get Webmin and Usermin to work?

Cheers,

Benjamin Doherty
chicago