/usr/bin/lpr and /usr/local/bin/lpr

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Thu May 19 00:14:47 PDT 2005

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but i could not find an answer in handbook,
ml-archive or google:

I have three printing systems installed on my FreeBSD-5.3 system:
- FreeBSD lpr
- LPRng
- cups-lpr

The fact that LPRng and cups-lpr install the lpr binary in the same
place is not the problem here. :-)

What can become annoying is that there are two lpr binaries in PATH:
/usr/bin/lpr and /usr/local/bin/lpr. Depending on your PATH you get one
or the other.
Renaming /usr/bin/lpr to lpr.old only helps until the next "make world"
creates a new /usr/bin/lpr.

Is there a solution that is independent of PATH and
"make world"-resistent? Maybe remove the old BSD lpr from the base
system into a package that one may install or not?

Or is there a way to keep "make world" from installing certain binaries
(which, in turn, would have to be "cvs update"-resistent?)

Thanks for any thoughts,

	Heinrich
--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341