Mirror Partition

freebsd.org at donnacha.com freebsd.org at donnacha.com
Wed May 18 13:28:41 PDT 2005

Hi, another HDD question:

If you are getting a hosting center to set up a server with two HDDs,
and if the 2nd HDD has a /mirror partition the same size as the 1st HDD,
do the guys doing the install need to denote the /mirror partition as
being a particular type of partition i.e. in the same way that swap is a
particular type of partition.

I was originally planning on simply having a normal partition called
/mirror created and left empty for a few weeks until I'd learnt more and
was able to choose between vinum, gvinum, gmirror or whatever but, if
that empty partition needs to be of a certain type, I need to let them know.

The key problem, as ever, is that I will only have cmd-line access to
the server.

Thanks to everyone who helped me to work out the general configuration
for my server and apologies for dragging my newbie ass back onto this
list with this question.

Donnacha