Finding out original source of e-mail

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Wed May 18 13:08:01 PDT 2005

Alex wrote:

> Looking at the first received line shows that FWM-D38.sysops.aol.com
> received the email from 204.214.222.51. Usually you would expect to
> see a name associated with that address, but in this case there isn't.

Is this *your* IP address, perhaps?

Given that this was sent using a WebMail interface it *could* have been
someone doing this by hand.  I have no idea how easy AOL Webmail is to
spoof.  Having said that, sending email to accounts which don't work is
a hallmark of spam bots.

If you have any passwords for your AOL account, I would suggest changing
them.

--Alex