Video Driver

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue May 17 14:07:41 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 02:14:46PM -0400, Adam Stern wrote:
> I'm kind of new to freebsd.  I'm using Gnome, and the resolution doesn't
> go above 600x800.  I assume that is because it doesn't have the exact
> driver for my video card.

Try Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Plus and see if it switches to a higher resolution.

> I have an Intel motherboard, and when I
> looked it up on Intel's site, they didn't have any FreeBSD drivers for
> my motherboard, only RedHat and SuSE.  Is there something I can do to
> got my resolution to increase?

The "driver" is part of the X server, not part of the FreeBSD kernel
(if you forget about 3D accelleration).

I would generally advise to avoid binary only drivers, because if you
upgrade your system and the driver stops working you're screwed. Instead
buy from people who give out enough specs to let the Xorg hackers write
open source drivers.

Study your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and read the manual page: 'man xorg.conf'.

If you want more specific advice, post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and
the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.