scanner software, dvd software, Gnome sound problem (was:Newbie Questions)

Bob Johnson bob89 at eng.ufl.edu
Tue May 17 14:04:58 PDT 2005

> Message: 37
> Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 21:58:51 +0200
> From: Joseph Borg <juu.borg at gmail.com>
> Subject: Newbie Questions
> To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
>
> Hi,
> I've got a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with:
>
> - I've got an (extremely old) HP Scanjet 4c Scanner hooked up via an Adaptec
> SCSI card to my system. Freebsd seems to recognize this scanner at boot:
> May 17 20:48:36 cronus kernel: pass0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
> May 17 20:48:36 cronus kernel: pass0: <HP C2520A 3503> Fixed Processor
> SCSI-2 device
> May 17 20:48:36 cronus kernel: pass0: 3.300MB/s transfers
> Would you know of any software (preferably under gnome/X that I can use to
> operate this scanner)?

I've never used it, but the standard answer seems to be SANE:

/usr/ports/graphics/xsane
/usr/ports/graphics/sane-frontends

> - Secondly, I've also got a NEC IDE DVD-RW drive hooked up which the system
> recognizes fine. What software can I use to burn DVDs? All I'm looking for
> is some software (preferably also under X/gnome) that would allow me to make
> backup DVD's of files I have on the drive (i.e. Data DVDs).

I use dvd+rw-tools (which is not limited to dvd+rw devices, that's just
how it started life):

/usr/ports/sysutils/dvd+rw-tools

> - Finally, I've just installed gnome and when it starts up, I get the
> following error: No volume control elements and/or devices found. The A8V
> Motherboard on which the system is installed has an inbuilt 8.0 sound card.
> Is there any way I can test this is working under Freebsd. Provided this is
> the case, how can I eliminate the error in gnome?

First make sure your sound is working.  By default, no sound drivers are
loaded.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

The summary is, edit /boot/loader.conf to add the line "kldload
snd_driver", then reboot.  That loads most of the sound card drivers, so
it will probably get it working, although not in the most efficient
manner.  I'm assuming you are using FreeBSD 5.x, under 4.x the answer
may be different.

> Thanks for all your help.
>

> Joe

It's best to post one question per message, with a descriptive subject
line.  Someone who knows the answer is more likely to notice it that way.

Good luck.

- Bob