Newbie Questions

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Tue May 17 13:28:22 PDT 2005

Joseph Borg wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with:
[snip]
> - Finally, I've just installed gnome and when it starts up, I get the
> following error: No volume control elements and/or devices found. The A8V
> Motherboard on which the system is installed has an inbuilt 8.0 sound card.
> Is there any way I can test this is working under Freebsd. Provided this is
> the case, how can I eliminate the error in gnome?

Can't answer your first couple of questions, but I know from solving
this for myself over the weekend that this one should just require
getting the correct kernel module loaded for your sound card. See

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

For me, it was as simple as running the sound driver meta loader

kldload snd_driver

to see if my card would fly at all, and then looking at dmesg to see
that the meta loader was finding device pcm0 and from there figuring
out which sound module I needed to load from /boot/loader.conf with

my_modname_load="YES" (can't remember the actual module name I used)

Then boot, and Gnome starts up happy (just like me every time I boot
FreeBSD ;-).

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348