NVIDIA Driver on 5.4 RC3

Joseph Borg juu.borg at gmail.com
Tue May 17 13:00:46 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Jeays [mailto:Mike.Jeays at rogers.com]
Sent: 10 May 2005 22:00
To: Rod Person
Cc: joeborg at ieee.org; freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: NVIDIA Driver on 5.4 RC3

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 12:37, Rod Person wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 12:24:30 -0400, Joseph Borg <juu.borg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Hi,
> > I've got an NVIDIA TNT2 and I'm trying to install NVIDIA's driver on the

> > AMD
> > 64 Release of 5.4 RC3. The driver I'm trying to install is:
> > NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-7174.tar.gz.
> >
> > When I try to install it, make stops with an error saying that vm86.h
was
> > not found. Has anyone come across this problem before?
>
> I have the same type of card and use the NVIDIA driver with no problem.
> I'm not sure, but does the driver support AMD 64 cpu??
>
> > Alternatively, does anyone know of another driver I can use with my card
> > that will support 1024x768 at true colour depth?
>
> The Xorg driver 'nv' - I believe it is - should support 1024x768, it just
> doesn't do the 3D acceleration of the Nvidia driver.

Even the VESA driver works at this resolution with the GEFORCE 440 card
- I am not saying the performance is spectacular, but it works fine for
me.

Section "Device"

       	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "vesa"
	VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
	BoardName   "NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440]"
	ChipSet     "vesa"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     15
                Modes "800x600"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     16
                Modes "1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
                Modes     "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Thanks Rod and Mike,
The NV driver works just fine in the Xorg conf. Had missed it the first time
round.

Joe