routed daemon

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue May 17 10:48:14 PDT 2005

Jim Pazarena <fquest at ccstores.com> writes:

> Can the routed daemon co-exist with a CISCO router which, by default,
> also responds to routing requests?
>
> The reason I ask, is that I accidentally installed routed, and it
> was running, and my whole network came to a grinding halt, until
> I de-activated routed. I had not set up *any* configuration file
> or anything other than installing the port (by accident).
>
> So did this halt my system because I had no configuration file, or
> because routed cannot co-exist with (in this case) my telco provided
> CISCO gateway router?

Certainly they *can* co-exist, but in your case there is no reason for
them to do so.  Your routed doesn't know about any routes that the
Cisco doesn't.  This is also (most likely) where the problem came
from; your routed was probably advertising routes that went through
the Cisco, causing the Cisco to pick up those routes through the
FreeBSD box, causing a routing loop.  In ordinary routing situations,
"split horizon" would keep this from happening, but because the
default route was configured statically, routed couldn't detect this.