NFS read-ahead?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Mon May 16 04:57:11 PDT 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005 12:19:13 +0200, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
you wrote:
>Now, the manual pages says for -a I should give values greater than 1 if
>bandwidth*delay is high. I'm on a swithed FastEthernet, so
>bandwidth=100Mb/s and delay is around 0.2 ms of ping roundtrip time.
>As for -r it says it should be used when there are many "fragments
>dropped due to timeout"; yet I see almost none.
>
>Do you have any suggested values to start with, before I make random
>experiments?

Hi,
	Offhand, not really, but if you look around via google for
mount_nfs freebsd "-r" a lot of people suggest r=32768,-w=32768.
Perhaps use that as a starting point and experiment to see what gives
you the best performance for your situation.

	---Mike