Setting up ntpd on FreeBSD (5.4)

Michal Mertl mime at traveller.cz
Fri May 13 11:41:04 PDT 2005

Rob wrote:
> Michal Mertl wrote:>
> > /etc/ntp directory isn't used by default on 5.4.
> > The default location for ntp.drift file is /var/db.
> > I've never created it by hand (not even by
> > 'touching' it), it gets created automatically.
>
> No, there's no such default as "/var/db/ntp.drift".
> It's either "/etc/ntp.drift" or "/var/db/ntpd.drift",
> depending on which of the two you consider is the
> 'most' default :).

Sorry, I haven't actually checked my 'facts' before replying. It was
because, as I wrote in my reply, the file gets created automatically and
I don't change the defaults. I don't do it without a good reason.

Sorry again for increasing the confusion. I hope it still helped the
original poster.

Michal