FreeBSD 5.4 apache vs. apache+mod_ssl and mod_php4 dependencies.

Clifton Royston cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
Fri May 13 11:29:37 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 07:20:49AM -0700, Joe Capali wrote:
> Back in the day...4.9-RELEASE you were able to install
> apache+mod_ssl and mod_php4. Now 5.4-RELEASE requires
> apache as a dependency to install mod_php4 and fails
> with apache+mod_ssl already installed. Don't know if
> this is a problem just I am having. I would like to
> end up with my 4.9 config on 5.4, any ideas would be
> appreciated. All references are to apache 1.3.

(I'm not on my FreeBSD machines at the moment, but I just did this a
couple days ago.)

I believe what you want to do is:

cd /usr/ports/lang/php4
make OPTIONS="openssl" install

 + usually you want to

cd /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions
make install

By *default*, php4 builds both the CLI for PHP and mod_php4; there are
separate port entry points to build one or the other alone.  Poke
around the ports directories and look at the pkg-descr and pkg-message
files, and/or the Makefiles themselves.  OPTIONS tells it what type of
Apache installation to look for among other things.

BTW, I recommend you go to Apache 2 when you can, as it's been stable
for years now and that's where all the development is going on.

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
"I'm gonna tell my son to grow up pretty as the grass is green
And whip-smart as the English Channel's wide..."
                                            -- 'Whip-Smart', Liz Phair