user owned groups

Lewis Thompson lewiz at compsoc.man.ac.uk
Wed May 11 10:47:04 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 01:37:27PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> If all of the users have their default group be staff or some such, anyone
> can change any file which is group-writable.  If each user has their
> default group be a unique group (with UID==GID), then users can safely use
> a 002 umask, without worrying about their files being stolen or changed by
> other users, and yet still use group accounts to work with other users when
> they do want to share files with.

Okay, I'm going to jump in now and ask something I have always wanted to
know the answer to but always seem to forget.

Can /home be configured so all files are created with permissions of
0600 (or 0700 for directories)?  I use a umask of 77 but that's annoying
when playing with files in other locations.

Sorry if this is obvious/stupid :)

-Lewis Thompson.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:lewiz at fajita.org | jabber:lewiz at jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-