BAD SU

Xian ian at codepad.net
Tue May 10 09:03:36 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 14:32, vdm.fbsd at virgilio.it wrote:
> While fetching a package during the installation of a port (but I don't
> think this really matters!) FreeBSD 5.4 keep saying
>
> "BAD SU victor to root on /dev/ttyp1"
>
> What does it mean
It means that someone not on the console is using the su command on your
computer. They are trying to become root and not managing it. That someone
logged in with the user name victor.

> and how can I avoid that?
If victor is allowed to mess about as root, it is a case of stopping the
messages getting to the console.

If victor is not... have stern words with victor ;-)

> Vittorio

/Xian

"In C we had to code our own bugs. In C++ we can inherit them"
unknown author