firefox crashes after upgrade to R5.4

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue May 10 08:44:39 PDT 2005

Hou Ian wrote:

 >>>After successful upgrade to R5.4 via
 >>>buildworld/installworld on my amd64/R5.3 machine,
 >>>
 >>>everything works quite well except that the
 >>>firefox-1.0.3 crashes whenever I try to use"find"
 >>>
 >>>(Ctrl-f) or access to localhost for samba
 >>>administration. The firefox window got closed
 >>>immediately and core-dump without leaving any
 >>>other trace when either of the above events take place.

If firefox is like mozilla, then you can make the port with debugging
   make WITH_DEBUG=1

That might a) give you more info about what happens just before it
crashes and b) give you a -g executable you can use with your core file.

The only other question is, did you update gnome recently, and did you follow the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING? --look for 20050312.  Only guessing mind.  My last attempt at thunderbird crashed constantly -- far more often than your firefox.  I just gave up.

Also, be warned that with debugging, mozilla beeps quite a lot as it seems to fail assertions doing just about anything.  Not very accurate assertions, I guess ;)  Also, you may need to tweak or delete /var/db/ports/firefox/options when you want to recompile without debugging again.  That one caught me out, and mozilla is *still* beeping like a mad thing.

--Alex