5 day lockup on Densitron

Clifton Royston cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
Mon May 9 22:38:34 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 04:30:15AM +0100, RW wrote:
> On Saturday 07 May 2005 02:00, Clifton Royston wrote:
> >  What you describe
> > could conceivably be the result of a special counter or RTC chip
> > running as a "watchdog timer" with a count-down from boot time, and
> > generating some kind of special interrupt when that countdown reaches
> > 0.  Watchdog devices are sometimes set up to require the application
> > software to "stroke" the timer periodically (reset it in software) with
> > the intent to force a reset of the system (usually a reboot) after
> > such-and-such a period of time if not stroked.
>
> Watchdog timeouts are typically a fraction of a minute, a 5 day watchdog
> timeout is very unlikely.

  Watchdogs are normally designed to be initialized at boot by the
software, and as FreeBSD doesn't know about it...

  It's a long-shot, but less so than "overheating" always happening to
build up and cause a reset randomly at exactly the same 5 day period of
time as somebody suggested.

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
"I'm gonna tell my son to grow up pretty as the grass is green
And whip-smart as the English Channel's wide..."
                                            -- 'Whip-Smart', Liz Phair