Process tracking

Clifton Royston cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
Mon May 9 12:09:12 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 03:51:30PM +0200, John Oxley wrote:
> Right, when i run top I see perl grazing 50% of my CPU.  How do I find
> out what process actually launched that.

Simply running ps with appropriate options (my favorites being -auxww)
will let you see the command line and parameters which usually tells
you how perl was invoked.  If you use the above options, the most CPU
intensive task will appear at the top of the list:

 ps -auxww | head

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
"I'm gonna tell my son to grow up pretty as the grass is green
And whip-smart as the English Channel's wide..."
                                            -- 'Whip-Smart', Liz Phair