Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sat May 7 15:12:12 PDT 2005

On Sat 7 May 05 15:01, Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr>
wrote:
> Joshua Tinnin writes:
> > Where is the infringement here?
>
> Reproducing a copyrighted work without permission.

Then so is every single tech help list with public archives. Or every
single email list with public archives. I'm subscribed personally to
scores of them, and those lists are a tiny fraction of all of them.
Some of them have been in existence before the web. I can't figure out
why you keep harping on an issue like this that is not at all unique to
FreeBSD, nor even open source. Why don't you head over to some other
tech lists for a while and complain about this?

Say, have you read over the legal documents pertaining to when DejaNews
and later Google archived Usenet? It would be educational for you to
peruse them.

> > Have you spoken to an actual lawyer about this issue? I have. Guess
> > what he said?
>
> I prefer not to guess.  Invite him here.
>
> In any case, lawyers don't decide what is or isn't infringement;
> courts do.  And in the world of IP, it's often a roll of the dice.

Yes, but you're not a lawyer, yet you persist in talking about these
matters as if you had some authority.

I hate to bring up the old cliche ... but, seriously, Anthony, most of
what you do here is spread:

Fear
Uncertainty
Doubt

Anyway, I'll leave you guessing at what he said. But, just to give you a
hint, he was laughing when he said it.

- jt