Clock running fast

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed May 4 14:31:03 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 03:51:05PM -0500, W. D. wrote:
> At 14:49 5/4/2005, Ryan Winograd, wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >I recently noticed that the system clock on a machine i recently set up
> >is running very quickly, about 2x realtime by my measuring. What can i
> >do to solve/investigate this problem? What information would be helpful?
>
> http://www.Google.com/search?q=install+ntp+on+FreeBSD

Unfortunately ntp will not always help in these situations, because
the time is changing too quickly/slowly to keep up with.  The OP
should check whether changing the kern.timecounter.hardware sysctl to
one of the other values listed in kern.timecounter.choice will fix the
problem (they are ranked in order of quality).  Also look for a BIOS
update for your system - that may fix it.

Kris