The FreeBSD Handbook, in Wiki form.

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Wed May 4 11:08:20 PDT 2005

Trevor Sullivan wrote:

  know it's off-topic, but I thought it might surprise some folks, and
it's possible it could prove important to some, I guess.  Notice the
words above, about him using the sha-1 hash.  You realize it's been
broken?  The crypto world is unambiguous about it, and firmly
reocmmening that everyone immediately move over to using the sha256,
which is already implemented on FreeBSD.  Since it's already here, and
hopefully possible (maybe) to modify your amil system to use it, I
thought I would toss in the data here.

If you would like (as I usually do) to read it from the hourses mouth,
Bruce Schneier is the best authority around, and here's his take on it:

http://http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/sha1_broken.htmlwww.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/sha1_broken.html

BTW, if you haven't bought his "Applied Cryptography", shame on you.  He
wrote this thing, and it alone tosses his name up against lights such as
Richard Stevens, because he explains ALL of the horrible math, explains
all of the algorithms in detail enouigh to program from, actually
manages to make it entertaining, and I hope he lives forever.