mail/sendmail submit question

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed May 4 08:56:06 PDT 2005

On May 3, 2005, at 1:33 PM, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
> I am trying to allow mail submission and sending on a 5.3-RELEASE box
> from inside a jail, but not a running MTA...
> [ ... ]
> When I try to do a mail on the command line, I get:
>
> root at machine:/home/chad# can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/):
> Permission denied
> Program mode requires special privileges, e.g., root or TrustedUser.
>
> Where do I set this TrustedUser and how do I make the mail program
> work as a TrustedUser?

You might do better to run the MSA as normal, not from within the jail,
but from the base system.  This will give you a mail submission agent
listening on localhost and a queue runner to flush the
/var/spool/clientmqueue/.  If you don't run the MSA as a daemon, you'll
need to schedule a queue runner via cron, or else any mail being
submitted will probably just get left in that spool directory and never
get sent onwards.

The other option would be to make sendmail setuid-root, which will
solve the permissions problem and let it queue or forward mail via SMTP
directly.  Of course, there's a security tradeoff being made in doing
so, but if you're using a jail, you've already set up restrictions...

--
-Chuck