Installing DCOM98 with Wine

Chris Hodgins christopher.hodgins at gmail.com
Tue May 3 06:01:35 PDT 2005

Hi,

I have the latest Wine and Winetools installed and I am now trying to
install DCOM98 with the purpose of installing internet explorer 6 for
my web development needs.

I have downloaded DCOM98.exe and ie6setup.exe into my
/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/ directory and then to install DCOM98 I do
the following:

(Note that I have followed advice by this site:
http://patrick.spacesurfer.com/ie_wine_install.html)

root at paranoia:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:# export WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ole32=n"
root at paranoia:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:# wine dcom98
fixme:file:get_default_drive_device auto detection of DOS devices not
supported on this platform
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x80000000 not available
err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x80000000 not available
err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x80000000 not available
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x80000000 not available
err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x80000000 not available
err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x80000000 not available
err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x80000000 not available

Durring this time I get a box asking me if I want to install DCOM98,
which I reply yes to.  I then have to agree to a EULA, which I do.  It
then starts copying the files and then it pops a message box up saying
"Error loading SETUPAPI.DLL".  If I look for this file:

root at paranoia:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:# find . | grep -i setupapi.dll
./setupapi.dll.so

Any help getting this working would be great.

Thanks
Chris