sendmail

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Mar 31 17:26:37 PST 2005

On 2005-04-01 02:47, Gert Cuykens <gert.cuykens at gmail.com> wrote:
> i want to send a movie to a friend ? How do you do that with sendmail
> ?

You don't.  Email messages are not a good medium for sending huge files.

Many mail servers limit the size of the messages they accept to something like
1 MB, so you'd have to split the movie in an extremely inconvenient, huge
number of short parts.

There are other ways to do file transfers.

FTP is, in fact, called ``File Transfer Protocol''.  You could always fire up
an ftpd in read-only, anonymous mode and invite your friend to download the
file from you.

> I know i know i read the man but its like this

IMHO, the Handbook chapter on electronic email is more useful for Sendmail
beginners, but I doubt people read it these days; which is rather unfortunate,
given the amount of effort freebsd-doc people have put into writing it.

- Giorgos