i did it again

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Mar 31 17:21:19 PST 2005

On 2005-04-01 01:29, Gert Cuykens <gert.cuykens at gmail.com> wrote:
> i putted mysqlsafe in my rc.local and found out ctrl + c doesnt work :)
> In single user mode i wanted to edit the file but joe crashed and vi
> was very strange. it was like it only had one line to display the file
> and the arrow keys where acting strange ?

Bring up all the file systems manually, and you should be set to edit
any file with TERM=cons25.  This should be something like:

1. Start in single-user mode.  When you enter the root shell of the
single user mode, there's only one filesystem (the root filesystem) and
this one is mounted read-only.

2. If your system clock is set to local time (and not UTC), run
adjkerntz.

	# adjkerntz -i

3. Do minimal sanity checks for all file systems:

	# fsck -p

4. Remount the root file system as read-write:

	# mount -u /

5. Mount all the rest, and then set your TERM to cons25 (TERM should be
set IIRC only after termcap is available):

	# mount -va
	# TERM=cons25 ; export TERM

6. Edit your /etc/rc.local with any editor you prefer.

7. Exit the single user shell and let the system go on booting in
multi-user mode, as usual.