my ethernet to my laptop/getting the tcp/X11 socket up

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Thu Mar 31 09:45:45 PST 2005

Well, I need to get two problems off my chest, so to speak, well, really
3 problems.  May as well hit the easiest first, which is getting the X11
tcp socket opened up.

BACKGROUND: I want to give the database I wrote to the friend of mine I
wrote it for.  I got a laptop that sort of fell into my lap, but it
didn't come with an ethernet, so I had a ethernet card lying around (I
forget the name of the outboard cards for laptops, this is the very
first time for me, using a laptop).  I installed it, it worked with the
rl0 driver.  Sometimes.

Why sometimes?  Smart guy, that's question 1.  The indication I get is,
I get an error (tcp error) soemthing like this one below (they're not
all alike):

Mar 30 21:37:52 september kernel: rl0: discard frame w/o leading
ethernet header (len 2 pkt len 2)

Well, the result is always the same, which is that the rl0 line stops
dead in it's tracks.  I can do a ifconfig down/ifconfig up and clear it,
but every time I do that, I take a 1 in 5 chance of getting a kernel
panic.  It's not something I crave to do a lot, so I can't just dismiss
it by making a utility to down/up the interface.  I need this fixed.

My kernel is 5.3 stable.  I picked it because it was the only one of all
of the ones I could pick (and I did try them all) that seemed compatible
not only with the ethernet card, but also the usb trackball I like (I
hate mice) and that the available X for that version knows the usb
drivers.  Too early and it won't work with ums0.

OK, I'd like suggestions from someone who knows the history, is there
any easy fix for the rl0 driver I'm using, that will allow it to work
stably?  Anyone know of any problem like what I've described?

Second set of problems is easier to describe: I want to get the tcp
sockets on X turned on.  I know about the -no-tcp, and there are
unfortunately too many places that it could be turned off.  On my
server, running FreeBSD-6.0 (it's an opteron, dual) I am running a very
  very reent kde (damn but that compiled easily!)  On the other machine,
well, today it's FreeBSD-5.3 like I said.  Maybe you'll change my mind.
On neither machine am I running any sort of login daemon, it's just
startx.  I sure wish that the darned security person who got them to
bias the options against running that socket would undo his work.  I
don't mind the option existing, but making it the default was a rotten
thing to do to me.

I won't listen to anyone who tells me to upgrade my laptop for the hell
of it, because my app is python/gtk, and needs too many parts to work
together for me to risk breaking what works today just for the hell of
it.  Give me a solid reason, and then I'll do it.

I'm quite, *quite* willing to buy another ehternet card.  The one I have
is a D-Link, the dmesg reports:

miibus0: <MII bus> on rl0
Mar 30 21:44:23 september kernel: rlphy0: <RealTek internal media
interface> on miibus0
Mar 30 21:44:23 september kernel: rlphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX,
100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
Mar 30 21:44:23 september kernel: rl0: Ethernet address: 00:0d:88:27:c4:38

OK, so I'm looking for advice on the ethernet problem, and maybe

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).