making freebsd known to the world

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Mar 31 01:45:42 PST 2005

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Maybe this is the wrong list for this,

It is, you need to go to freebsd-advocacy

> but why is FreeBSD never
> listed on websites of third party applications like firefox?
> In this directory I can't find a FreeBSD package for example.
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0.1/contrib/

Have you ever built firefox?  It requires about 28 ports or so that
are not in the base FreeBSD install, at least for version 4.11, and
that is for the native version of it.  And many of these are GPL
so you are just adding trouble for BSD users who need a system they
can use as a base for a commercial product - the last thing they want
to discover is their app linked into some GPL library.

If the Linux distributors want to bloat their base systems for every
3rd party application that comes along that is fine.

> I know the ports/packages system works great, so the freebsd user
> doesn't need it, but wouldn't it be good for publicity?

It would.  But why are you asking us, ask the Mozilla people why they
haven't at least put up a link saying firefox is available in the ports
directories.

Ted