mksnap_ffs woes

Andrea Venturoli ml.diespammer at netfence.it
Wed Mar 30 07:59:29 PST 2005

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> It's possible you're seeing deadlock bugs in the snapshot code; you'd
> need to compile your system with DDB support and obtain traceback
> information as described in the developers' handbook chapter on kernel
> debugging.

Ok. As soon as I get the chance, I'll do this (I cannot stop a whole
network right away).

> The snapshot code was intended to support background fsck and that
> alone.  It's also optionally used by the dump code, but it was not
> written as a general-purpose live filesystem snapshot service.

Ok.
I just think that this, as well as the disclaimer about it being alpha
code and the access locks, should be mentioned in the Handbook. Reading
that chapter or mksnap_ffs's manual, I didn't get it and I suspect
people might get the idea that it is stable code, which provides some
functionality that it doesn't.

>>Are there other alternatives for live backups?
>
> Plenty, if you don't demand an instantaneous image of the backup
> image.

That depends on what you mean for instantaneous...

I'll explain my needs briefly: I export (via Samba) a whole bunch of
databases that 9 clients read and write. I do not have more details (I
didn't write that app myself).
The needs are:
a) backup data so that in case of severe failure we can get it rapidly
back (we are going to loose the last transactions, obviously);
b) replicate everything to another machine (via rsync) so that a remote
user can see a snapshot of the system status.

We probably can live with some incoherent records in a) (after all,
something will almost for sure need manual fix anyway); as for b) I fear
it might be more prone to problems.

So, if for instantaneous you mean at a specific time, I don't care at
all wether the image is made an hour earlier or later. All I'd like is
coherence.

BTW, we have almost no room for changes on the client side :(

> The pros and cons of the snapshot code have been discussed on the
> mailing lists, and there is a (slightly outdated) information file
> here: /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/README.snapshot

I'm reading all this stuff; I might get back with some more questions
later :)

  bye & Thanks
	av.