Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

Martin McCann martinmcc at orbweavers.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 17:18:59 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 23:25 +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim writes:
>
> > Um...because it took an adapter that generically had worked, but after
> > modifying it didn't?
>
> It was referenced by an OS that generically worked, but then did not
> after the modification of the adapter.

So what are you saying? Origional, it worked with NT, but then didn't
with FreeBSD. NOW you are saying, it working with 'OS' before update,
now doesn't work with 'OS', after update. So, I have to assume you had
the same OS at this point, which makes your whole arguement a lie.

> > I have an old 68k mac laying here...think I can install
> > AmigaDOS on it?
>
> I don't believe so, but it has been a long time.

Conjecutre? I thought we didn't do conjecture???? Why the hell do you
not know? what the fuck are you doing on this list if you do not
know???? You must know everything!!! I have a problem and I demand that
you solve it! Right fucking know, or I will take up every thread in you
goddamn list with my tantrum until you do!

> Note that it has not been established that any particularity of the
> adapter firmware is at the root of this problem.  The meaning and cause
> of the messages and behavior I'm seeing remain unknown.
>
> > I and others on the list have suggested numerous times things like
> > self-contained Live-CD's of Linux/FreeBSD, or USB-bootable versions,
> > or talking to the actual developers instead of a USER MAILING LIST
> > (Not DEVELOPER), or swapping the controller out and get matching
> > drives to test against, or even paying someone to fix it with your
> > hardware to test on, or just going back to windows so you can ignore
> > the problem in the first place ...
>
> The one thing you have not done is explain the meaning of the messages
> I've seen.
>
> > As far as this list is concerned, it's not gonna happen.
>
> I'm not optimistic, but one never knows.

>  Aren't you the same person that said MS changed features specifically
> > at your request, but you didn't remember what they were?
>
> Yes.

Convienient.

> > If so, you never did answer me on how you could have forgotten what
> > that feature was.
>
> It was quite some time ago.  Much water has passed beneath the bridge.

I doubt many people here would request a feature for MS, have it
granted, then forget what that feature was. Smackes of a lie if you ask
me.

> > You couldn't figure out why someone would suggest testing a problem on
> > another bit of identical hardware to isolate if it was a hardware
> > problem or a software problem?
>
> Someone might suggest that in order to seem knowledgeable, rather than
> admit that he has no clue as to the source of the problem.

Or it could to try to be helpful, rather than saying, don't know, go
away. But no, you have to take the cynical route, and believe it is a
fault, rather than a virtue, which makes them do this. Says more about
you than it does them.

> > How long have you been a sysadmin?
>
> Overall I have a fair number of years of experience in that capacity.
> Currently I only administer my own systems.

Well, you are showing many user traits, and not many sys admin traits.
User = "I don't like this, you must fix this". Sys admin = "This is
crap, how can we fix this".

> > Get the multithousand dollar support contract with them, run exactly
> > what they tell you to run, and you'll be happy with the support they
> > would give.
>
> I don't think they'd approve of FreeBSD.

Then don't use it, don't whine to this list about it.

> > how long have you been doing this, anyway?
>
> A couple of decades.

Maybe past your prime?

> > I heard a similar type of argument from a five year old.
>
> Small children have a way of getting straight to the point that their
> elders might sometimes do well to emulate.

Ah, so all those comments about this list being full of children was a
compliment. Why thank-you.

> > I've had several machines where distro X wouldn't work but Distro Y
> > did.  But by your logic, this isn't possible, right?
>
> I haven't tried any other distributions.  I don't know the source of the
> boot problem, so it's hard to say.

Perhaps some flaming is in need then?

> > You're right.  You're getting much farther by insulting people and
> > being obstinate when given suggestions.
>
> Apply that same logic consistently, and you'll see the source of my
> frustration.

Hah! You claim logic. Read back on your past posts.

> > What a dichotomy to your insults of FreeBSD developers.
>
> Dichotomy?

Why does a man of your decades of experience have to ask a FreeBSD
mailing list the meaning of a common english word?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dichotomy