FW: dmesg -a lines' explanation? NEWBIE

Andrew Heyn aheyn at lifestylecomm.com
Tue Mar 29 15:45:19 PST 2005

And it's off to the list!

-----Original Message-----
From: David Armour [mailto:dfarmour at myrealbox.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 3:40 PM
To: Andrew Heyn
Subject: Re: dmesg -a lines' explanation? NEWBIE

hello,

thank you for your response.

> Regarding grep, you got it half right.

that is just *so* ME! :c)

plugging your recommendation onto the command line produced:

/etc/devfs.conf:perm    xpt0    0666    #permissions are set properly at
boot

... which is still largely un-intelligible to me, at the moment. and which
co-incides, oddly enough, with the moment at which i have to leave for work!
dang! so i'll have to take another google around, later tonight...

> grep's command line can be made to look less scary like:

yes. that helps. i did sort of think of it in those terms.

> or grep -ri "something" /etc/* which searches recursively, and ignores
> What you did when you didnt tell grep what file to use for input was

i mis-read the manpage.

> tell it to get info from the terminal (standard input)!  Control-C would
> quit grep, or control-d would tell grep "end of file" and stop grep.

yes, i used crtl-c to quit. didn't know about crtl-d though.

> I'm pretty sure that searching google a little bit can help you with
> UNIX basics.

there is a lot of stuff out there, i agree. making sense of it's another
story
though.

thanks v. much for your help.