Best way to handle network interfaces on a laptop?

Mac Mason mac at cs.hmc.edu
Tue Mar 29 14:56:04 PST 2005

So, I've got a laptop with two network interfaces (a wired one, xl0, and
a wireless, wi0).

The network setup around here gives me a static IP for the wired
inteface, and DHCP for the wireless.

My question has (I think) to do with routing; when I have the config for
xl0 in /etc/rc.conf, and it starts on boot, starting wi0 doesn't help
with connectivity.

Specifically, much of the use of this machine is in unwired sorts of
places, where I want to use the wi0 interface and not the xl0 interface.

If I don't have xl0 in /etc/rc.conf, and then dhclient wi0, it works
fine.

If I do have xl0 in rc.conf, I can't figure out how to make wi0 route
things if it isn't plugged into a wire.

ifconfig xl0 down, which I thought would work, doesn't.

Help?

Thanks!

    --Mac