Samba problems

Alejandro Pulver alejandro at varnet.biz
Tue Mar 29 11:07:19 PST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:52:15 -0500
Garance A Drosihn <drosih at rpi.edu> wrote:

> At 12:29 PM -0300 3/26/05, Alejandro Pulver wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I am using FreeBSD 5.3 with Samba 3.0.7,1.
> >
> >I can read all files from a Windows 2000 Pro. But when I try
> >to access a mount point that is an NTFS filesystem, I have
> >no read permission (files and directories appear as zero
> >length files) until I access them from the server machine
> >(like doing an 'ls').
>
> Let me see if I understand the situation:
>
> You have a FreeBSD box running Samba.  You have Win2k boxes
> which connect to file shares on that FreeBSD box.  When they
> do, the PC's can not access partitions on the FreeBSD box,
> unless the FreeBSD box has already accessed them.

Yes.

> I don't quite understand the reference to NTFS.  Are you saying
> that the *FreeBSD* box is mounting NTFS partitions, and it then
> makes those partitions available to the PC's via Samba?  Where
> are those NTFS partitions located?  Are they on the hard drives
> of the FreeBSD box?  Or is the FreeBSD box mounting them from
> some other file server?

The NTFS slice I mount at '/mnt/w2k' is in the server. I only have two
machines.

> >Note: I have subdirectories under '/mnt' like 'w2k', 'wxp',
> >'cam', and 'tmp'.
> >
> >What am I doing wrong?
>
> What *exactly* is your /etc/fstab file?  The fact that you
> have directories under /mnt does not tell us anything about
> what filesystems you are mounting, or how they are getting
> mounted.
>
> --
> Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
> Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu

This is my '/etc/fstab':

# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
/dev/ad2s4b		none		swap	sw		0	0
/dev/ad2s4a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
/dev/ad2s4e		/tmp		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad2s4f		/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad2s4d		/var		ufs	rw		2	2
devfs			/dev		devfs	rw		0	0
/dev/acd0		/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0
/dev/fd0		/floppy		msdosfs	rw,noauto	0	0
/dev/ad0s5		/mnt/w2k	ntfs	ro		0	0
/dev/ad0s1		/mnt/wxp	msdosfs	rw		0	0
/dev/ad2s1		/mnt/deb	ext2fs	rw,noauto	0	0
/dev/da0s1		/mnt/cam	msdosfs	rw,noauto	0	0
procfs			/proc		procfs	rw		0	0
linprocfs		/compat/linux/proc   linprocfs  rw	0	0