Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Tue Mar 29 09:15:23 PST 2005

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>Chris writes:
>

>>Ok - I'm about to set the game point and win this one. Anthony, you of
>>all people know that with NT 4, you have learned that one MUST read the
>>HCL (Hardware Compatability List) BEFORE you try to install. That being
>>said, you also know that if it aint on the HCL, you're SOL *Shake your
>>head yes*
>>

>My machine is on both the Windows and FreeBSD lists.

No - NOT the PC - the hardware that's in question. The Adaptec WITH the
modified code. I'm willing to bet, it's not.
Keep on target - don't toss other crap to divert. Stick to the one part
of the hardware that IS the red hearing.

>>Ok, now - being that you know this, did you check FBSD's version of the
>>HCL BEFORE you installed?
>>

>No, but I didn't check Windows' list, either.  As it happens, it's on
>both lists.

Again - I doubt that that perticulare Adaptec WITH the modifide code is
listed. Now I'll bet an untouched Adaptec is.

>>Did it specifically list that adapter WITH the HP/Compaq enhanced
>>microcode?
>>

>No.  But it mentioned the machine, and it didn't list any exclusions.

The PC is NOT the issue. The modified Adaptec IS. Stay on target, stay
on target.

>>NO - It does not. So, what does that mean? That means it not listed as a
>>supported item. What does that mean? Well - much like the HCL list of
>>NT4, YOU are on your own.
>>

>In other words, the FreeBSD list is worthless, since if something on the
>list doesn't work, one can always claim that there is some _specific_
>detail about one's hardware that the list didn't _explicitly_ approve.

No - not worthless - NOT SUPPORTED. Just like the HCL that MS puts out.
Another thing to understand, most of the HP added code is related to
SNMP. That's what HP/Compaq does. Now, you also need to realize that the
drivers under NT talk to HAL (Hardware Abstration Layer) which happenes
to be far more forgiving of altered code then something under Unix where
the driver talks directly to the hardware.

Think about it.

--
Best regards,
Chris

PGP Fingerprint = D976 2575 D0B4 E4B0 45CC AA09 0F93 FF80 C01B C363