A Riddle

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Mar 29 05:56:33 PST 2005

On Mar 27, 2005, at 11:42 AM, em1897 at aol.com wrote:

> Apparently you can't read. I didn't say you were an
> idiot for running your own server.

Can't read what?  I'm not sure what line you're specifically
referencing here, probably because you didn't inline the comment.  But
that's okay...we'll use a technique favored by trolls, and just stick
your reply line wherever it is most convenient to twist the meaning!

> Only that you
> were an idiot to use your server to download
> tons of crap from lists that you don't want to
> read when for free you can have it stored elsewhere.

A ton of crap?  Wow...how much email do you keep in your spools,
anyway?  Are you running a mail server on an under-resourced system or
something?  If you aren't running with enough disk space for handling
your domain's email, that sounds more like a violation of the
"competency" clause in running your own mail server.

> I have a server, and a domain (several) and lots of
> other cool stuff.

Like this cool Transformer, and this remote controlled boat, and this
neat-o minibike my dad got me for Christmas!

> I got tired of wasting cpu cycles
> and disk space, considering that maybe 1 out of 20
> messages actually interests me.

Oh, the hardship of being a sysadmin for a home network...the horror!
The HORROR!

> You guys always
> complain about wasted bandwidth. Well if you use
> yahoo or gmail or aol then you don't waste any bandwidth
> of your own. You just read what you want to read.

I think most "wasted bandwidth" complaints today are veiled hints for
the other person to shut up because they're wasting time.  If you're
running your own server and bandwidth is a premium, you already have a
problem.