Portupgrade (vs. Portmanager) question

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Mon Mar 28 21:23:09 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 06:20:00PM -0800, Jay O'Brien wrote:
> Updating a computer, pkg_info reported I only had two packages,
> cvsup-without-gui-16.1h and perl-5.8.5, both of which were out
> of date as reported by pkg_version.
>
> I tried to install portmanager, but it was not able to get the
> needed files from http://portmanager.sunsite.dk.
>
> So, I installed portupgrade. Those files came in fine.
>
> I then did "portupgrade -a -N -vu -rR", which was successful for me
> several months ago on another computer.
>
> The computer ran for over nearly two hours, with messages scrolling
> by so fast it was nearly impossible to read, filling up the screen with
> text.  I used script so as to capture the screen messages; the capture
> file of the screen is 1.2MB in size!

This is normal.

> Now, pkg_info says I have 10 packages installed; added were ezm3,
> gettext, gmake, libiconv, libtool, portupgrade,ruby and ruby18. If
> these all required to make portupgrade or perl work, where is that
> reference?

These are in the port system /usr/ports/

> Help!  What did I do?

You told you system to install portmanager and the ports that it needs,
but also all the ports that are based on it. Please check 'man
portupgrade' about the options.

--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/