What's an easy way to replace a drive?

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Mon Mar 28 16:18:40 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 02:11:19PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> I would recommend using dump(8) to copy each of the filesystems to a file.
> Then create new slices & partitions, newfs them and restore(8) the contents
> back. It is safer and just as efficient.

Notice one could use the r-version of dump, rdump, to write the dump
file on a networked machine. Its simpler than setting up NFS. Modern
versions apparently support ssh, which eliminates most of the security
fears of traditional r-commands.

If rdump works for you then rrestore should as well.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net