Help!

Charlie Sorsby crs at swcp.com
Mon Mar 28 12:46:06 PST 2005

I seem to have shot myself in the foot by trying to provide
*enough* information about both my system and what I'd tried to do
and what the results were.  I've apparently buried the problem in
detail.  Can't win....  :{

A few prefatory remarks so that we're talking more or less the same
language:

I should also have mentioned but did not that I'm essentially
totally ignorant about things microsoft -- explaining freeBSD
things in microsoft terms will only confuse me.

And that nothing microsoft remains on any of my disks.

And that when I say "partition" I mean a Unix partition; if I want
to refer to a "slice," that's what I'll say.

And now:

Since I seem to have buried everyone in detail, please let me
summarize the actual problem here with some background and then
address a few of the issues you raise.  I'll also leave the details
at the end for anyone who wants to look.

The problem is that:

1.  I'm trying to install the newer version of freeBSD on a
separate disk.  3.4 is on a different disk.  /home is on another.
And leftovers from 2.1.5 (mostly /usr and /usr/local is on still
another.  (Which is which is described below in the discription
of my hardware.)

2.  I had, back in December, tried to install 4.5 on the subject
disk.  That installation was from the Walnut Creek CDROM that I'd
received when I still subscribed.

3.  The 4.5 installation seemed to work but when trying to boot
from it, I found that the partitions mounted on, e.g., /usr were
those of the disk containing 3.4, not those on that (supposedly)
containing 4.5.  (I had provided other mount points for those
partitions in the disklabel phase (e.g. /usr.34); /usr *should*
have been a mount point on the disk to which I had attempted to
install 4.5.  After a couple of attempts with the same results,
I put it on the back burner.

4.  In looking through my notes from that abortive attempt, I find
the error message:

    Unable to add /mnt/dev/da3s1b as a swap device: Invalid
    Argurment.

5.  It did the same thing this time.  I'm thinking that maybe that is
key to the current problem.

Is there a limit to the number of swap partitions one can use?  I
have one on each disk; this one would have been the fourth.

Can that be the reason that it tried to fetch everything into some
root partition? This is my first attempt at an ftp install so I'm
unfamiliar with what it actually tries to do.  Do I remember
correctly that the swap partition is used for temporary storage
during installation?

6.  The last time it seemed to have "thought" that it had successfully
installed; it just didn't work.  This time it just tried to fetch
everything into the root partition -- *some* root partition -- and
ran out of space.  That makes a certain amount of sense because
last time, everything was available to it on CDROM; this time it
was not.

Aside (regarding failure to boot from CDROM drive):

I discovered at that time that the system with the Intel m'board
will *not* boot from the CDROM drive although its predecessor with
the same hardware except a different m'board did reliably.  I have
found no BIOS setting that will allow the system to do so.

One thought occurs to me but is not relevant to this discussion
since I've simply created the boot floppies and boot into the
installation from them.

That thought is that, when the old m'board died, by the time I got
the replacement, I'd forgotten the order that the two SCSI host
adapters had been in the PCI slots and interchanged them.  Perhaps
the Adaptec (to which the CDROM drive) is connected, should be the
second of the two so that it's the one set up last.

Now to the points that Bob raised:

> Use your 3.4 FreeBSD system or a win system to download the mini.iso
> file for 4.11 and then burn it to cd.

As mentioned in my original post but possibly not made clear
enough, my system has a CDROM drive; not a CD-R or CD-RW drive.

> Boot your box from the 4.11 mini newly created cd and

I also mentioned that this system will not boot from the CDROM
although its predecessor did with the same drive.  I haven't been
able to discover why.

> accept the default slice sizes,

I just used the entire disk as a freeBSD slice.  Or tried to.  As I
recall there was a small piece at the end that was marked unused.

> select not
> to install the ports collection.  The ports collection is over 3000
> strong now and some are variations of same base port. You are being
> foolish to select all ports as that is unnecessary and a gross waist
> of disk space. After base install is complete then select the ports
> you want and install separately.

OK, point taken.  But the problem is that I never got that far
other than answering the initial question about whether I wanted to
install the ports.

When it gets to the actual ports-installation phase, does it not
install them in /usr/ports after the OS has been installed and
configured?

> You are way back level and there has been great changes in the
> system and the sysinstall process. Read and follow this Install
> guide for step by step instructions for 4.11 release as it's the
> same as 4.10.
>
> http://freebsd.packards-home.net/index.php

Thanks, I'll take a look.  I'm afraid that INSTALL.TXT, as fetched
from freebsd.org, by trying to be all things to all people turns
out to be less to anyone -- at least to anyone not already very
familiar with the procedure.  I hope that this comment will be
taken as the constructive criticism it is intended to be.

The problem, as I see it, is that because it tries to describe
every possible approach, it is necessary to jump round in the
document to find the bits than any describe any one installation.
That also makes it quite large to print out.

> Yes FreeBSD CAN be installed on the fourth of four SCSI disk drives
> on the second of two SCSI cards,

Thank you!  I thought that that should be so but was beginning to
have doubts.

> but if you have other operating
> systems on those other disks you will have to manual update the MBR
> (master boot record)  multi boot program on the HD the PC bios point
> to for selecting which operating system you want to boot from.

Are you saying that simply allowing the installer program to
install the boot manager on *all* disks is not enough?

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Charlie